Saturday, August 16, 2008

Labrador, Canada








Arrived in Schefferville at 1:00 in the morning. after 3 days of traveling and a train ride from hell Tom and I finally made it to the camp. Tom is one of the Hunting/Fishing guides from Harvey's staff that hitched a ride with me from Maine. this guys knows Labrador like the back of his hand and funny... he had me laughing the whole way here. The town of Scheffervile is not anything to write home about, but the area surrounding is really something you have to come see. I flew with Harvey yesterday in the Dehavillan Beaver. This Single engine seaplane can hauls alot of stuff. We loaded up the plane with 3 hunters all there gear for a week, extra fuel and flew them out to a remote camp on a island 130 miles from the base. We flew most of the rest of the day scouting out Caribou and delivering food. the weather here is normally very crappy but this day was clear and you could see for miles.. it is awesome.
Day 3- The weather here has not been so good, yesterday i built a pre-fab shower for one of the camps. and loaded about 1000 lbs of caribou meat from one of the hunting camps. the hunting has been good the past few days. Tuesday I may be going out to one of the fishing camps for a week if all goes well. "Umiakovik Lake". the Arctic Char are very plentiful here. We may also get to hunt bear. It gets very cold here at times and sometimes snows in the month of August. According to my GPS am over 2000 miles from Florida and not sure when i will return. There is no cell phone service anywhere near here so please email me if you would and let me know whats going on with you. I spend lots of time updating this blog, but i don't hear much back. If i do end up going to Umiakovik tommarrow i will be in "the bush" with no communications for a week. I hope i get to go..

5 comments:

Barb said...

Hey Steve,

Looks like an adventure of a lifetime! Amazing pictures, love the videos. Keeping track of you and living vicariously through your adventures. Be safe and enjoy.

Barb (Hankin) Faehnle

Ryan said...

Hey Steve! We miss you very much! Just to give you a heads up. Ryan is no longer at Tim Pond, and I gave my two weeks notice. Stuff kinda happened. If I dont see you before I am gone, here is my cell 207 212 8875, and ryans is 207 319 8950.

Carol S. said...

Hi Steve: We are following your adventures and love to see the pictures. Please post more!!!
Love from Carol, Tony, Debbie and the kids

Brian said...

hey steve brian here with the luscombe been following your trip not fair i want to be there, did not know you were going to canada, is the plane with you in canada

Brian said...

Ok read a little more i guess your leaving the plane in maine, cool trip, look forward to hereing about it in person when you bet back. i keep checking in