Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Squaw Lake Seaplane Base

Just been helping out here at the seaplane base in Labrador. I still haven't been able to squeeze in on the plane to Umiakovik. That has been a storey in itself. Today we have a Beech 19 coming in with 12 hunters to get out in to the bush.... so my chance today is slim to none. Maybe tomorrow. This fish/hunt season here is only 6 weeks long before things freeze. so its a mad rush to make it profitable.
Day 8, things have been busy at the base, but i still have not made it out to Umiakovik Lake. Harvey is trying hard to make it happen, but with the weather and load issues I don't think it will work out. Today the weather is no go for flying. I just took the safety boat out and got a good video of a Caribou swimming across the lake right here at the base. I will try and put it on the blog, but last video i tried didn't work.
I hear Florida just had a hurricane pass thru, i sure would like to hear how much rain we got at Cowpen lake??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve,
Looks like you're having the time of your life! Mom gave me your blog address so I could check out your adventures. Jenn and I went down to see Mom and Wally Sunday at the farm. We didn't spend the night so we avoided the plywood bed! Their new house was there and it will be much better. Hope you continue to have good luck and wonderful adventures!
Take care,
Sue

barefootin' said...

Hi Steve,
It looks kinda warm/comfortable up there with you in a short sleeve shirt! You're looking great for almost 2 months of traveling. Must be that good diet of Artic Char and Caribou. The past week FL had a Tropical Storm named Fay visit 4 times. My lake is the highest it has been since 1999. Melbourne area rec'd 20+'.
Love the pictures. Looking forward to seeing more. And hearing the stories of the one that got away!
Miss you! Ski ya later,
Barb

mikey said...

Hey dood,
Yea we got slammed her in orlando with apprx 15-20 inches of rain.. the water level was all the way up under my shed. it came up apprx 10 feet up in the yard.. almost flooded in the house on the side behind where the motor home is. all the docks where under water on the lake.. have fun and give me a call when you get some service..


mikey