Monday, July 28, 2008

NYC what a day this was!!






Waiting til 10 am for the tide to come up on the beach in Maryland the day started slow. I got out of there and was soon landing at Havre De Grace SPB but there was nobody around to get fuel from..... then my cell rings and its Hank from Philadelphia Seaplane Base. He tells he received my voice mail and has fuel for me and can be back at the SP dock in 30 min. Now things are starting to pan out. This seaplane base butts right up to Philly"s big airport. ducking under the class B airspace at 300 feet i land on the Delaware River. with the river current running approx 4-5 knots and the wind blowing its was exciting trying to safely get to the dock without tearing up the plane. It kinda reminds me of docking the boats at Beaufort SC. Hank was there waiting to help.... thanks Hank. after fueling i called John from NYC Airspace Control to remind him where i was and that i was coming thru his airspace. They would be tracking me leaving Philly as a primary target. I would has never tried this without talking to NY. This VFR corridor is narrow and lots of rules to follow. John gave me the green light so i was off thru NYC. This leg was a long one fuel wise... i had to make Greenwood lake in New York approx 200 s. miles away. I have to so say flying thru NYC up the Hudson was awesome!!! it looked like a post card.. everything was so still it looked fake, until a sightseeing helicopter come up just next to me. it was a zoo thru there. I circled the Statute Of Liberty trying to take photos and videos and flying the plane with my knee and looking out for traffic, it sure was crazy. this was one of the best days of my life. Check out the video below.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve! Cool shots. Caroline and I must have been right below you in NYC that day! We were up there Monday and Tuesday. I looked through my pictures but didn't see you in the background...

Cap'n Nick said...

Steve, It seems that your most excellent adventure is possibly greater than you anticipated.
Thanks for the great updates so we can share in it. I'm on Quittin'
Time for ten days of hot Georgia sun. Better than working though.
Keep hanin' fun.
Dennis

Gatorskis said...

Look...it's a bird...no a Piper...it's STEVE! I can't think of a better way to tour NYC. I bet traffic didn't even hold you up. Get home safe so you can share all the stories. If you can make it to Key Largo before Sept you should go lobstering! See you later fly boyeee!

Joel & Kimberly

Unknown said...

Joel...ready to go get some lobster